From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxx]
Sent: 05 August 2011 10:23
To: 'stds-802-3-EXTND-EPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Work plan for the September meeting in Chicago, IL, USA

Dear colleagues,

First and foremost, I would like to thank everybody for joining the email reflector and expressing their interest in following up on the proceedings of this Study Group. My special thanks goes also to all the people involved in the development of the CFI materials, presentation at the consensus building meeting (Ed and David) as well as

We have had quite a number of people signing in since Monday (54 as of the moment of writing this email) and while I still expect more people to join, I think we can start preparing for the upcoming first working meeting of the Study Group, scheduled to take place on the September the 12th in the afternoon (see http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e48y5kqsa73a03f7&llr=bqlaqkgab for more details). If you are planning to attend the meeting and have not yet indicated your intent to do so during the recent plenary in San Francisco, please email me in private (using REPLY TO option in your preferred email client) and let me know. This information is critical for the meeting planners to have an idea on an approximate head count to ensure we have adequate facilities to work efficiently.

Regarding the focus for the meeting in September, the main areas we need to cover include:

- Project Authorization Request (PAR)

- Goals and Objectives for the project

These documents represent the foundation for the future Task Force, establishing its objectives, goals and the deliverables. To better understand the scope of the work we need to do for the upcoming meeting, it might be helpful to look at examples of past projects as we develop presentations to address these subjects. Documents developed by 10G-EPON and EFM Study Groups are probably most applicable for this Study Group. They can be found at the following locations on the 802.3 website:

EFM PAR & 5 Criteria :
http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/jul01/presentations/par_1_0701.pdf
EFM objectives:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/efm/public/jul01/presentations/objectives_1_0701.pdf

10G-EPON PAR:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/public/may06/10gepon_PAR_vote_0506.pdf
10G-EPON 5 criteria:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/public/may06/10gepon_5criteria_0506.pdf
10G-EPON goals and objectives:
http://www.ieee802.org/3/10GEPON_study/public/may06/10gepon_objectives_vote_0506.pdf

As a reminder, the website for our Study Group is up and running and you can access the CFI materials at the following link: http://www.ieee802.org/3/EXTND_EPON/public/1107/index.html

At this time, I would like to encourage and solicit any contributions addressing any of the topics related with the documents we have to prepare before we become a Task Force. Specifically, please email me if you would like to contribute to any of the following topics:

-          5 Criteria: Broad market Potential

-          5 Criteria: Compatibility

-          5 Criteria: Distinct Identity

-          5 Criteria: Technical Feasibility

-          5 Criteria: Economic Feasibility

-          Objectives

-          Requirements

-          Backward and forward compatibility …

To spearhead the development process, I would like to suggest that we hold a conference call during week 33 to start discussing the aforementioned topics. Depending on the geographical distribution of the call participants, we might need to hold more than one call. Please indicate your time preference by voting at the following link: http://www.doodle.com/tzpcxddku9nwkatf. The call will be scheduled and bridge information will be posted online.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD

Acting Chair, Extended EPON Study Group

ZTE Portugal
Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,
Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,
1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349
Mobile: +351 961 121 851 (Portugal)