[802.3_EXTND_EPON] November 2011 plenary meeting

Dear colleagues

This email serves as a starting point for preparation of contributions for the November plenary meeting in Atlanta. I would very much appreciate your feedback and active discussion on the email reflector on individual topics, if possible.

We received many good comments on existing contributions, which I hope will facilitate development of updated versions and improve the clarity of messages. In the following days, I will be working with individual contributors from the last meeting to focus on technical and organizational contributions for the following meeting, trying to address requests for clarification and changes as requested in Chicago.

Here is the list of target topics under the Call for Contributions for the November plenary meeting:

-          Comparison of cost between existing 1G-EPON and 10G-EPON PMDs and extended EPON PMDs, with the definition of what power budget is considered as “extended”. It would be especially interesting to see what cost increase (in %) would be related with adding X dB to the available power budget.

-          Cost comparison for various implementation scenarios for Extended EPON: compare scenarios of serving a given group of subscribers with multiple lines of existing EPON PMDs versus using fewer lines but using Extended EPON PMDs or using power budget extender (outside device). It would be nice to see when it becomes economically viable to use Extended EPON PMDs or power budget extenders.

-          Technical feasibility of various architecture for power budget extenders, their strengths and weakness, current status of their components, their availability, reliability etc. Any known use cases, lab test results for such devices and their performance data would be most welcome.

-          Market drivers for Extended EPON, with the special focus on:

o   Specific market applications to be covered by Extended EPON that are not covered by EPON today, indicating whether it is targeting extended reach, extended split or both that are needed in the given scenarios. Provide specific data i.e. distance between the OLT and the farthest ONU, number of splits, ability to use active devices in the outside plant (power budget extenders)

o   Size of the market for Extended EPON i.e. for an increased reach application (e.g. with 40 km reach), what % of deployed lines would use the Extended EPON?

o   How many dBs need to be added to existing EPON PMDs to guarantee coverage of 90%, 95% and 99% of the target market for access applications.

Please let me know whether I captured everything that was discussed.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD

Chair, Extended EPON Study Group, http://www.ieee802.org/3/EXTND_EPON/

ZTE Portugal
Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,
Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,
1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349
Mobile: +351 961 121 851 (Portugal)