From: Victor Blake [mailto:victorblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 10 November 2011 13:46
To: STDS-802-3-EXTND-EPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_EXTND_EPON] PAR and 5 Critters

Marek, et. al.

I’m sorry that I’m not there to participate in person. One comment on PAR Item 5.5, Project Need.

“The project is applicable to subscriber access, back-haul, and multi-dwelling unit environments, extending the market coverage of Ethernet Passive Optical Networks into longer reach and higher density applications.  The project is needed to enable telecommunications operators  and multiple system operators to provide advanced bandwidth-intensive services, such as high-definition television, while: reducing footprint and power consumption of central office equipment; minimizing service upgrade cost; and minimizing fiber deployment costs, while increasing customer density per central office, enhancing coverage area and further decreasing the cost per subscriber, allowing also for central office consolidation to minimize CAPEX and OPEX. “

I don’t see how extended reach or higher split ratio have anything in particular to do with specific applications like “high-definition television.” At best it is marketing to call it related. I think it should be sufficient to say that:

“The project is needed to enable operators to utilize EPON FTTx at longer reach or higher split ratios or both, for more cost effective scaling while: reducing….”

The fact is that without regard to a particular IP service, this is needed for even non-IP services like MEF services, etc.

-Victor