Re: [802.3_EXTND_EPON] Action items for the next F2F meeting

Dear Nishihara-san,

The goals for the Study Group (SG) include the following (see also ExEPON_1111_opening.pdf, slide 11):

- develop complete objectives, PAR and 5 Criteria, by building consensus among the membership of the Study Group [completed as of last F2F meeting]
- seek approval for the said objectives, PAR and 5 Criteria at the WG 802.3, 802 SEC, IEEE NesCom and IEEE-SA Standards Board levels [current under way, we have 802.3WG approval as of the last F2F meeting in Atlanta]

The Study Group does not select specific technical solutions to address approved objectives, cannot make binding motions and decisions limiting the course of work for the future Task Force, prepare and circulate drafts etc. A Study Group may work towards consensus in the future Task Force by collecting technical contributions from the membership, take straw polls to facilitate selection of technical solutions in the future Task Force and holding discussions on associated technical topics. In short, we can see technical contributions, discuss their pros and cons but we cannot exclude them from the scope of the future Task Force.

Once a Task Force is created, it will use the material collected during January and March 2012 meetings of the Study Group to create baseline proposals, which will be then subject to technical discussion and selection process through discussions and motions. The Task Force will then select the most appropriate proposals to address each approved technical objective and work towards reflecting them in the draft.

In summary, the Study Group can be used to collect any technical materials to be used by the future Task Force, discuss solutions and build consensus, but it may not exclude any proposals or limit the scope of technical discussions in the future Task Force. A Task Force does the necessary technical work to select specific technical proposals (using materials collected during Study Group meetings and Task Force meetings) among submitted baseline proposals and then work towards preparing the draft for Task Force review.

Does this answer your question?

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD
Chair, Extended EPON Study Group, http://www.ieee802.org/3/EXTND_EPON/

ZTE Portugal
Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,
Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,
1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349