[802.3_EXTND_EPON] PX30 and PX40 ONU PMD alignment

Dear colleagues,

Following the discussion on comment #20 (see approved responses posted at http://www.ieee802.org/3/bk/comments/8023bk_D11_resolved.pdf), I would like to encourage discussion on both topics that need technical attention of the Task Force going forward, i.e.

-          Topic 1: alignment of PX30 and PX40 class ONU PMDs, and limiting changes between PX30 and PX40 power budgets to the OLT side only. The focus items for this alignment to happen include high power transmitter for OLT side (+7/+10 dBm) and OLT burst mode receiver support for -33.8 dBm sensitivity. I would like to hear opinions on technical feasibility of both these transceiver elements.

-          Topic 2: decrease in the minimum insertion loss for PX40 from 18dB to 15dB. Such a decrease influences the maximum launch power for the Tx and/or overload level for Rx side.

Since both of these topics are closely related, I’d suggest that we first discuss Topic 1, which is more important from economic stand-point. If found to be technically feasible, it would allow operators to migrate from PX30 class power budget to PX40 class without changes in the already deployed ONUs.

I would also like to remind everyone that draft D1.2 once posted, will be also pre-submitted for Working Group ballot following motion #5 (see unapproved minutes, posted at: http://www.ieee802.org/3/bk/public/1209/8023bk_1209_minutes_unapproved.pdf). This motion indicates that group believes the draft to be technically complete, and ready for the start of the next project phase, i.e., Working Group ballot. Further improvements to the draft, including alignment of PX30 and PX40 PMDs per Topic 1, can be done by submitting a comment against the draft once in the Working Group ballot.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD

Chair, IEEE P802.3bk Extended EPON Task Force, http://www.ieee802.org/3/bk/index.html

ZTE Portugal
Standard Development and Industry Relations

Edifício Amoreiras Plaza,
Rua Carlos Alberto da Mota Pinto, nr. 9 - 6 A,
1070-374 Lisbon, Portugal

Office: +351 213 700 090
Fax: + 351 213 813 349
Mobile: +351 961 121 851 (Portugal)