[802.3_NGAUTO] Feedback on GM's presentation on objectives

Title: Default Disclaimer Daimler AG

Dear Natalie,

Dear all,

I had a look on the slides you presented in the last adhoc call and I have some feedback & like to start some discussions on the reflector.

On an overview I found the following points/proposed objectives I want to comment on (I tried to re-phrase your objectives/proposals with my words):
To make life easier and to allow discussion on the individual topics easier I thought of generating separate threads to the topics, so I will send out separate mails which are marked with the corresponding topic (if I assume this will lead to a longer discussion).

A)     Focus on 10Gbps, lower speeds are not of interest [10Gbps_only]
à there are systems using a data rate between 1Gbps and 10Gbps out now, so we have (non-standard) solutions and 10Gbps would be the “new” needed speedgrade.
But there are some chances for lower speed as well (reduced complexity, 5Gbps backplane interfaces are in development in IEEE as well in the moment). See also my remarks in the mail on [Channel_10mSTP]

B)      Provide a max. delay of 1ms over 7 hops
à see my separate mail [1ms_Delay]

C)      Reduce channel to 10m/2Inlines instead of 15m/4Inlines
à see my separate mail [Channel_10mSTP]

D)     Use shielded cable (one or two pair)
à see my separate mail [Channel_10mSTP]

E)      Reduce environmental requirement on ambient temperature to 105°C instead of 125°C [105C_ambient]
à I think this is a at the end a vendor specific feature. I agree for now we may not need PHYs which are capable of 125°C, but the
Spec should simply not exclude this possibility. (no separate mail)

Gruß/Regards,

Stefan Buntz

PS: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everybody! Enjoy your holidays and see/hear you in 2017 again!