[802.3_NGBASET] NGBASE-TSR

Dear Study Group Participants;

I have received some feedback that my promotion of NGBASE-TSR has been received as a "multi-PHY" proposal.

This may be due to the structure of my presentations, the language used, or graphics used to represent the proposal. It may also be due to my lack of time in the group, due to my responsibilities in P802.3bm. If so, I apologize.

My proposal is for a single PHY (at each speed) that can operate in different modes. Much like 10GBASE-T has a "30m mode".

The key difference, is that for 10GBASE-T, we didn't sufficiently provide for the Auto-Negotiation functionality to make it work properly. In addition, I think having a naming mechanism for the different modes enables appropriate market separation for products that choose to use that PHY in particular modes.

I plan to bring in a presentation in January that comes in at a higher-level, explaining the market benefits rather than diving into the technical benefits as I have done so far.

In the mean time, I just wanted to make it very clear. Its a single PHY (per speed) that operates in different modes.

This is part-and-parcel to the argument I have been making that a PHY in short-reach mode PHY must inter-operate with a PHY in long-reach mode when operating on a cable that meets the short-reach parameters.

If you wish to discuss this further, provide feedback, and/or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. I would appreciate the input.

Best Regards,

Dan Dove
dan_dove@xxxxxxxx