[802.3_NGBASET] thoughts on 25G for BASE-T

Dear Colleagues,

There has been much recent discussion of developing a standard for 25GBASE-T to go along with the expected work on 25Gb/s Ethernet in other 802.3 groups.  Much of this discussion has been about how such work might relate to 802.3bq.  With the expected agenda for the 802.3bq Task Force at the September Interim, it appears we have time for a discussion of the market needs and process for moving forward with a 25GBASE-T standard and whether it would work into the 802.3bq effort.  The leadership of 802.3 has informed us that such work would require a CFI process to proceed officially, but I would welcome material to begin to prepare for such a CFI (or whether not to) as late contributions to this meeting, which, if the group consents, I plan to discuss potential paths forward on 25GBASE-T following conclusion of our 40GBASE-T business.

See you in Kanata,

David Chalupsky, Chair, IEEE P802.3bq 40GBASE-T Task Force