[802.3_NGBIDI] Proposed timeline and big ticket items.

All,

I put the following timeline together for our BiDi project.

As you can see, while we were poised to get approved in July / September, due to our little 50G diversion we are now looking at getting approved in November/December.  Our first official TF meeting will be January.  I do not believe we need much more work on our PAR and CSD documents, and so I would like to encourage people to build consensus on our main technical issues.  If we do that, then we can hit the ground running, and have our baselines selected by next March, and then dive into the drafting process.

Some big ticket items that we need to consider:

        Loss budget

        10km and 20~40km budgets are envisioned

        Must translate these into loss and dispersion values

        Use 0.5dB/km (O-band)?  Assume 4 connectors with 0.5dB loss?

        Wavelength plan

        10G has existence proof at 1270nm upstream, 1330nm downstream

        Is there any objection to continuing with these values?

        25G has a few obvious possibilities:

        Reuse 100GBase-LR4 wavelengths (1295nm and 1310nm)?

        Reuse 25G PON ONU Channel 0 wavelength options (1270nm and 1300nm)?

        Silent start

        How to capture that into the standard?

And any other issues you would like to raise.

Anybody who would like to contribute to this work, please say so to the exploder here.  In that way, we can uncover people with common interests, and work on developing more joint contributions to our next meetings.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,

Frank Effenberger, Chairman 10G and 25G bidirectional optical access PHYs study group..