[802.3_OMEGA] September OMEGA SG meeting

Colleagues:

As all of you receiving this message know, our Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive PHY Study Group reflector is active.  We also have a web page that will get populated with material for the September meeting next week.

I have received a couple requests for presentations at the September meeting.  Most of you have been through projects in IEEE 802.3 before, but in the event some may not be familiar with the process and what the SG needs to get done, I will present some basic information on the documents we have to develop to get an approved project.  If you would like to present please send me an email with the request.  As those of you familiar with the process know, presentations on the following topics are especially appropriate:

1.  The scope and need for the Project Authorization Request (PAR) we will be drafting.
2.  Supporting information for the market potential, economic feasibility and technical feasibility of Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet.  Technical feasibility would include wavelengths, encoding and similar capabilities that would support desired automotive links.
3.  Proposed objectives for a project (data rates,  required link lengths, topologies, etc.)

As a study group, we will not be selecting any specific technical proposals for inclusion in a draft, but often discussing possible solutions helps to justify feasibility for a possible project.

If you have any questions, or would like to present, please contact me.

Robert M. (Bob) Grow
Acting Chair, Multi-Gigabit Optical Automotive Ethernet Study Group