Re: [802.3_RTPGE] Update: Implications of Wire size on maximum available load power

Metric wire sizes are specified by the cross-sectional area in mm^2. American wire sizes are specified by a gauge that can be cross-referenced to a cross-sectional area.

In Europe at least, wire sizes are specified using the metric system.