[802.3_RTPGE] Link segment insertion loss and cable gauge

Colleagues,

Coming out of the March meeting (see link below to minutes), we have identified 26 AWG stranded as a "target" cable gauge to consider based on RTPGE survey responses (see link below). Please note, I expect, consistent with other copper IEEE 802.3 link segments, other cable gauge sizes (e.g., 24 AWG, 28 AWG, 30 AWG) may be used to build compliant RTPGE link segments (i.e., link segments have been specified without a requirement for cable gauge). The maximum link segment insertion losses for the 15 meter topology listed in the RTPGE objectives is characterized using 26 AWG stranded in order to address the survey response requests.

Regards, Chris DiMinico

MC Communications

Channel definitions Ad hoc co-chair

meeting minutes (unconfirmed)

http://www.ieee802.org/3/bp/public/mar13/minutes_3bp_u_0313.pdf

The survey is targeted at automotive OEMs and suppliers to be used
to assist the IEEE 802.3 Reduced Twisted Pair Study Group
(RTPSG) in developing link segment objectives and project criteria.

Reduced Twisted Pair Gigabit Ethernet Link Segment Characteristics

Reduced Twisted Pair Gigabit Ethernet PHY Study Group Objectives
APPROVED 802.3 WG (November 15, 2012)