From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:07 PM
To: STDS-802-3-RTPGE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_RTPGE] Port naming...

Geoff, Brad, et al.

It seems to me that every single project that generates new PHY type always runs into the very same problem of picking the perfect name for the PHY. We had this issue in 10G-EPON project as well, and spent a number of cycles picking the one name that says it all. In the retrospect, despite concerns about whether the naming was correct or not (10/1G-EPON for example), the names stuck and now they are used in the industry. I think a name is as good as a consensus behind it, and I believe this TF adopted it without huge debate.

Personally, I support "100BASE-T1" for the name of the RTPGE PHY. It is descriptive and sets it apart from any other PHY we have made so far. It emphasizes the very specific character of this PHY and what sets it apart from any other 1000BASE-T PHY.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD
Network Architect, Principal Engineer
Bright House Networks