From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 8:52 AM
To: STDS-802-3-RTPGE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_RTPGE] Clause 45 updates

Dear colleagues,

Pete and myself went in detail through Clause 45 D1.4 version and identified a number of changes, mostly editorial, needed to align it with the style and wording from Clause 45 in 802.3, and minimize the number of comments we would be getting on Clause 45in Working Group ballot. There were many changes done (see attached PDF with diff changes) and these can be classified into the main groups of changes:

-          fixed incorrect editorial instructions (E)

-          removed “register” from names of registers in tables listing register names, e.g., Table 45-3. These were considered repetitions. Also, words were decapitalized (“Control Register” becomes “control”)

-          fixed names of individual registers in level 4 headings, e.g., “BASE-T1 PMA Control Register” becomes “BASE-T1 PMA control register”. In some cases, it was needed to add word “register”, and in some just drop capitalization off

-          in multiple tables for individual registers, we had “set to 0”, “set to 0s”, or some other wording  - the wording used consistently in Clause 45 is “Value always 0”. Also, respective register bits are always marked as “RO” which was aligned across all tables in Clause 45.

-          all register tables were missing footnotes with explanation of RO, RW, SC, LH, LL, etc. – these were added consistently.

-          captions in all tables describing individual bit assignment for registers were corrected to match Clause 45 style, i.e., “<REGISTER_NAME> bit definitions”

-          in multiple locations, name of the register used in descriptive text did not match the name of the register defined in heading / tables – these were aligned.

-          in multiple locations, name of PHY / PMA / PMD was missing – depending on register scope, either “BASE-T1”, or “1000BASE-T1” was added to specify what PHY / PMA / PMD we are referring to

-          in multiple level 5 headings defining individual register bits, names of fields were aligned with names used in the associated tables, e.g., in 45.2.1.130a.1, “BASE-T1” was removed to match with content of Table 45–98a. Where appropriate, capitalization was also fixed

-          in Table 45–98e, register 1.2308.15:13 was named incorrectly as “reserved”

-          in Table 45–163c, register 3.2305.5:0 was missing the word “count” in the name

-          references to correct tables were added together with the associated text in 45.2.3.50d, 45.2.3.50f, 45.2.7.14c, 45.2.7.14d, 45.2.7.14e

These changes do not account for any other received comments against D1.4 (these will be considered and implemented separately), but I would like to consider them as fixes required to prepare Clause 45 for WG ballot in July. Please let me know if there are any concerns abou the proposed changes. I will be submitting a post-deadline comment for this document, and will bring this comment up for discussion at the F2F meeting to make sure that we all have a chance to review / discussion any concerns.

Last but not least, I wanted to thank Pete for spending a few hours of his time going over the changes and preparing Clause 45 for WG ballot.

Regards

Marek