[802.3_RTPGE] Summary of results for experimental PoDL coupling network prototype and proposals for MDI return loss and MDI mode conversion loss

Please see attached presentation summarizing the results for an experimental 1000BASE-T1 PoDL coupling network that I’d like to share with the group. The results suggest that a PoDL coupling network is economically feasible for 1000BASE-T1 if the MDI return loss limit is relaxed. MDI mode conversion loss was another consideration in the design of the network, but there is currently no limit in the standard. Consequently, I am proposing that the MDI return loss specification be relaxed and that a MDI mode conversion loss specification consistent with the performance of the coupling network be adopted by the group.

I’ll be hosting a conference call at 8AM Pacific time on Thursday, January the 14th to discuss the results and proposals for anyone who is interested in participating. A separate email with the details of the conference call will be posted to the reflector tomorrow. Thank you.

Regards,

Andy Gardner

Staff Design Engineer

Linear Technology Corporation