[802.3_PDCC] Scope change in ITU-T K.147 and 802.3 comments

All –

David Law and I had a conversation on Friday looking over the K.147 and our comments and noticed something that may suggest a path to resolution.  Our comments, in my view, fall generally into 3 categories – (1) fulfill the scope of K.147, which, as stated, includes networked ports beyond ethernet (e.g., DSL) which are in the other ITU-T test documents that the scope currently states K.147 is providing rationale for; (2) comments about SPE (both because SPE is not mentioned in the other ITU-T documents and because K.147 appears to make a number of implementation assumptions about SPE which are not always true, and generally are premature given the early state of the deployments, and (3) technical and reference corrections to 2-pair and 4-pair PoE.

The NTT contribution would traverse the first 2 sets by defining the scope as “information technology ports including Ethernet”, which given the rest of the document, you can read as a difficult English sentence to say that “Ethernet information technology ports” (and not others) is the subject.  This would make Ethernet clearly the scope. (note it would also put this in the title)  It seemed odd to be presenting a scope an title change on an existiing document , so we started discussing that.

It turns out that this isn’t the first scope and title change for K.147, and, in fact, prior to the January 2022 edition of K.147, the scope read: “This Recommendation provides the rational for the Ethernet port testing found in [ITU-T K.20], [ITU-T K.21], [ITU-T K.44], [ITU-T K.45] and [ITU-T K.117]“, and the title began “Ethernet port resistability testing…”.  During our work in 2021, 802.3 commented (correctly, I believe) that saying just “Ethernet” was overly broad, as backplane, fiber, and even SPE were not covered in the referenced recommendations.  However, the original scope of the document was specifically Ethernet ports, and we had suggested that it focus more onto “BASE-T system through the Ethernet port.”, or “BASE-T Ethernet” (including PoE)– which was where the tests were defined and potentially applicable. (see https://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/PDCC/private/K147/PDCC_comments_only%20T17-SG05-210511-TD-GEN-1864!!MSW-E-1.docx in the PDCC private area for more detail on those comments).  The SG resolved those comments to remove Ethernet from the wording in the scope and title.  The comment resolution log (https://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/PDCC/private/K147/T17-SG05-211130-TD-GEN-2151!!MSW-E.docx ) indicates that this resulted in the expansion of scope to the WAN in general, and beyond Ethernet.  This is what is in the current in-force K.147, dated 01/22, and in the draft we commented on in November 2022.  It appears to be the root of our comments on needing to treat the other WAN technologies.  It also would include various single-pair applications which may or may not be good proxies for SPE.

Given this, it opens the potential for a consensus solution exists if we were to suggest revisiting the scope changes made in 2021, and realigning the scope with not “Ethernet”, which would return to the original problem, but “BASE-T Ethernet”.  We might further suggest that “BASE-T1 Ethernet” single-pair Ethernet, be proposed as a study project for the next period. Then the only comments we are left to resolve are those in the third category (technical and reference corrections to 2-pair and 4-pair PoE) which are generally more straightforward.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx