[802.3_SCC18] website update and update from NFPA PoE TG meeting

All –

I have updated the website with the latest draft under consideration in the NFPA TG.

I have uploaded “Allchanges_5_0_annotated” which is my annotated version of the output of the meeting.  All text now has consensus of the task group.

The main changes from what you saw were on the text relating to high temperature cabling and data.  We felt that the general issue of how the code regards data transmission is bigger than the task group and required a separate public input be put together for the 2020 code.  This may be a way the 802.3 community can help.  Joel Goergen is working on this area, and please stay tuned for more input.

The next meeting of the NFPA PoE Task Group (which will be immediately following our meeting Wednesday May 3) is going to focus on justification for the changes and whether they should be one or more public inputs to the 2020 code or one or more Temporary Interim Amendments (TIAs) to the 2017 NEC.  Discussion is expected to focus on the justifications – which my annotations provide some of my personal views on.

Also, I did follow up on Geoff’s question about whether circuits for data and circuits for power could be confused as requiring separate wires.  There was one AHJ on the call, and he reported no confusion at all – neither did anyone else.  Power and data on the same conductor were allowed and were not required.  All that was required was power and data within the same cable.

-george

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.