[802.3_SCC18] update on proposal to resolve differences between PES Wireline Subcommittee and IEEE 802.3

Attached please find the updated statement reflecting discussion at the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 ad hoc meeting today (3/21).  The discussion was fruitful and I believe we are getting closer to a common understanding of the shortcomings of the text in 725.144 and 840.160, as well as getting implementable code that can be used by inspectors.  Please use email (either this reflector or direct) to work to improve the text prior to next week.  Right now the ballot statement from IEEE to NFPA shows 3 conflicting views (the ER, PES WL SC, and IEEE 802.3).  it would be nice to have a single coherent view, but in order to do so, we must resolve this prior to 11am pacific time next Wednesday.

This same document, along with, supporting information, an analysis by the IEEE SCC18 Chair, Christel Hunter, and minutes of today’s meeting may be found at the IEEE 802.3 SCC18 ad hoc website at http://www.ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/SCC_18/public/index.html .

Feel free to email me directly with any questions, comments or assistance in resolving these issues.

-george

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.