[STDS-802-3-BWA] A Question on Latency

Dear colleagues,

In the last BWA conference call, if I recall correctly, someone stated that for applications like financial transactions, FEC is often turned off to reduce latency -- even for traffic between New York and Chicago.

Please help me understand that. Light propagation delay in fiber is ~5 microseconds per kilometer. In contrast, FEC  latency would be sub-microsecond. Even within a data center of 300 meter span, a round-trip through just one switch can add up to several microseconds. On the other hand, turning off FEC may increase BER and make TCP retransmissions more likely, thus adding to latency.

Or is it that in such links, the BER is so low that FEC ends up being all latency and no benefit?

Thank you.

Regards,
Vipul

Vipul Bhatt
Vipul_Bhatt@xxxxxxxx
(408) 461-8521

[Re-sent, with apologies for inadvertently including a restrictive notice in the previous message.]