Re: [STDS-802-3-BWA] STDS-802-3-BWA] Meeting Announcement

Chris,

I agree that Facebook is very interested in 10Gb on servers, just not on all
of them.  Web servers may never need 10Gb connections.  As long as the Web
presents primarily text and low density pictures (i.e. small GIF files), Web
servers will never need more than 1Gb connections.  The caching servers may
need 10Gb at some stage as data types get more dense (e.g. higher quality
pictures, video).  Database servers may need 10Gb at some point.  However,
Facebook is adding new applications that will demand 10Gb connections (e.g.
facial recognition servers, video conferencing servers) where a lot of dense
data types (much larger files) must be rapidly moved into and out of the
server.  For these emerging applications, 10Gb is extremely important, and I
am sure Donn is very keen on making 10Gb connections within Facebook's data
centers both cheap and low power.  Copper (e.g. 10GBASE-T) will take a while
before it can fit Donn's low power needs, but the combination of today's low
cost transceivers and Direct Access (Twinax) Cables will fit his needs well
in the short term.

Regards,

Kimball Brown
VP Sr Datacom Analyst