Re: [802.3.1_MIBS] [Bulk] Re: [802.1 - 7261] Opportunity to vote in IEEE 802.3 WG initial ballot: IEEE P802.3.1/D2.0 Ethernet MIBs

Dan-
I would certainly support that.
Geoff

On 5/17/10 1:43 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
Geoff,

I got it, thanks.

It would be good to explain this in a paragraph in the introduction
section, for the benefit of MIB implementers who may not read the whole
document.

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:thompson@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 2:44 AM
To: STDS-802-3-MIB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3.1_MIBS] [Bulk] Re: [802.1 - 7261]
Opportunity to vote in IEEE 802.3 WG initial ballot: IEEE
P802.3.1/D2.0 Ethernet MIBs

Dan

On 5/13/10 7:40 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:

1. I could not figure out the logic of the order of the

inclusion of

the MIB modules. Maybe it is explained some place and I

missed it. As

this order will probably stay with the evolution of the document I
would suggest to follow the order of the development of the MIB
modules - Ethernet Interfaces, Repeater, MAU, PoE, EPON,

EFM, WAN, LLDP.

I believe that your suggested sequence would not make any
sense to someone on the outside who has not been involved
with the history of MIB development for Ethernet.

I suggest what I believe is more transparent logic.
That would be to sequence modules in the same sequence as
their "foundation clauses" in Std 802.3 (That should pretty
closely match your suggestion anyway) In that way, we would
normally tuck things at the end, but on the odd occasion that
802.3 puts a clause at somewhere other than the end (usually
with reason aforethought) we would track that and do the same
in the MIB

Hopefully, with that as the methodology, 802.3 and 802.3.1
will maintain a reasonably parallel constrcution.

Best regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson
Chair, IEEE 802.23 Emergency Services Working Group

GraCaSI Standards Advisory Services
158 Paseo Ct.
Mountain View, CA 94043-5286
<thompson@xxxxxxxx>