[bp] BER Objective for BPE

Adam,

During the recent IEEE Backplane Ethernet (BPE) study group (SG) interim meeting in Vancouver, BC. Canada a BER objective of 10EE-12 was voted into the initial set of BPE objectives by a vote of 32-yes / 3-no / 1-abstain.

I was one of the three negative votes. My reason was simple; because these future 10G backplane links in a modular chassis are critical network links and the environment (inside the box) is much more noisy than external links.

I felt the same approach as the OIF CEI implementers agreement makes sense; they require a BER of 10EE-15 per lane with the test requirement of 10EE-12.

I suspect that system vendors will have the same concern with this 10EE-12 BER objective for backplane applications and voice their concerns when this objective reaches the 802.3 WG so it might be better to fix this objective now rather than later.

I would propose a new BER objective, here's some suggested text:

"Support a BER of 10EE-15 or better with the test requirement set at 10EE-12".

Cheers,

   - Jeff Warren