[802.3_NGEPON] D2.0, Comments #423 & #424 - Analysis/Proposed changes

Hi all,
Here's my analysis of comments #423 and #424 & recommendation.

Regards,
Bill

[1] Comment #423   SC 141.7.12
Comment:
Filtering out the low frequency jitter is a necessary part of the definition, it can't be left
"recommended" or there is significant ambiguity.

Suggested Remedy:
Usually the same reference CRU as for several other definitions is invoked. This can be
done by reference.  We may need to say more, e.g. references to the jitter metrics such as J2.

Current .3ca D2.0 text:

141.7.12 Jitter Measurements
When measuring jitter at TP1[i] and TP5[i], it is recommended that jitter contributions at frequencies below
receiver corner frequencies (i.e., 10 MHz for 2 5.78125 GBd receiver and 4 MHz for 1 0.3125 GBd receiver)
are filtered at the measurement unit.

From 10G EPON - 75.7 (.3av):

75.7  Definitions of optical parameters and measurement methods
When measuring jitter at TP1 and TP5, it is recommended that jitter contributions at frequencies below receiver corner frequencies (i.e., 4 MHz for 10.3125 GBd receiver and 637 kHz for 1.25 GBd receiver) are filtered at the measurement unit. The following subclauses describe definitive patterns and test procedures for certain PMDs of this standard. Implementers using alternative verification methods should ensure adequate correlation and allow adequate margin such that specifications are met by reference to the definitive methods. All optical measurements, except TDP and RIN15OMA shall be made through a short patch cable between 2 m and 5 m in length.

Possible .3ca improvement:  (let's discuss this in our group meeting)

141.7.12 Jitter Measurements
When measuring jitter at TP1[i] and TP5[i], it is recommended that jitter contributions at frequencies below
receiver corner frequencies (i.e., 10 MHz for 2 5.78125 GBd receiver and 4 MHz for 1 0.3125 GBd receiver)
are should be filtered at the measurement unit.

[2] Comment #424  SC 141.7.12
Comment:
"When measuring jitter at TP1[i] and TP5[i]" do we give even recommendations for jitter at
TP1[i] and TP5[i] in this clause?

Suggested remedy:
Delete? Change to address the jitter measurements we do have (in SRS calibration)?

Possible .3ca, D2.1 Recommendation:
- Leave text "as is" for now
- Reference inheritence of this language from 10G EPON (75.7)
- BP will search draft for any other J1/J5 jitter measurement references or level requirements for D2.1 and comment if any other changes to D2.1 recommended

--
Bill Powell
Nokia