Re: [802.3_25GSMF] Parameter changes for MPI penalty

Is your proposal to not make any allowed trade offs between number of connectors and link loss?   If so I think the numbers in the table on slide 6 would be replaced by ticks.   I do wonder with such a large difference between TDP and the allowance for penalties whether we should give people a clue what that is for.   Maybe split the row into two.   One that says “Allocation for TDP” (value of 2.7dB) and the other says “Allocation for other penalties including Multi Path Interference” (value of 0.7dB).

From: David Lewis [mailto:David.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2017 5:17 PM
To: STDS-802-3-25GSMF@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_25GSMF] Parameter changes for MPI penalty

All,

At the ad hoc on Wednesday I took an action to provide the changes that would be needed in the optical link parameter tables for an MPI penalty of 0.7 dB.  See the attached presentation for what I think is needed.

The approach is to tighten Rx sensitivity and SRS by 0.7 dB for both the -LR and -ER variants.  In addition this proposal tightens the Transmitter reflectance from a maximum of -12 dB to a maximum of -26 dB.

Please use the reflector for discussion of this topic.  Our next ad hoc is on Wed June 28th and will be the only one between now and when the sponsor recirculation ballot ends.

Regards,

David Lewis

P802.3cc Task Force Chair