Re: [802.3_50G] Comments to dawe_062718_02_3cd_adhoc

Hi Piers,

It’s not just about what the receivers can do theoretically, but also what the respective transmitters can do, and what the cost benefit is for squeezing one more than the other to achieve a particular link budget.

For receivers, absorption efficiency changes with wavelength and depends on material systems, light collection efficiency for MMF vs SMF photodiodes is different (MMF is usually a bit better).  In addition, recent MMF photodiode designs  use different structures to improve light absorption and sensitivity.

The net result is that the range of receiver sensitivity for single channel MMF vs SMF receivers, for the same bit rate and modulation format, is similar. The spread in sensitivity for each is greater than the offset of the averages of the population.

Best wishes

jonathan