[802.3_10SPE] website updated - september minutes posted - comments on the path ahead

I want to thank you all for a very productive meeting at the September interim. We made a lot of progress (and yes, we still have a very long way to go – but we’re on our way).

Jon Lewis has completed our unconfirmed minutes and they are now posted to the website – please take a moment to review.

As far as the path forward,  I know that Valerie Maguire, our Chief Editor, is already at work on the revised draft, and our other editorial team members (self included) will be at work over the next few weeks to get a draft out to you.

In the meantime, those working the short-reach (including multidrop PHYs) should be thinking about building consensus for proposals at the November meeting to make the same kind of progress on the specification in November that the long-reach PHY did at this meeting.  If you can envision and build consensus across use-cases, that would be even better.

Finally, there are two areas we haven’t really made much progress on yet – these need some progress in November so as not to delay our project:  powering, and autonegotiation.  Adaptations of Clause 114 (PoDL) and Clause 98 (single-pair autoneg) for the relevant use-cases would be welcome, because they would fast-track our progress.  Other use-cases and situations can then develop at their own pace (or, for example, in the case of long-reach intrinsically safe powering, may end up outside the scope of our spec)

Lots to think about, lots to do.  Good thing none of us are expecting to just sit back and watch it happen.  I am heartened by how many contributors we have had.  I did a quick count and there are more than 40 people who I can easily see have actively contributed to the project either with a contribution or notably participating in technical discussion of proposals (meaning I easily remember the comments).

-george

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

Chair, IEEE P802.3cg 10Mbps Single Pair Ethernet Task Force

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx