[802.3_10SPE] things to think about for November

As I look forward to the November Task Force meeting, I hope that people are thinking about presentations to propose baselines for the short  PHY.

In doing so, it would be good if they considered the performance in automotive EMC environments as well as more benign EMC environments.   Since we decided the point-to-point link segment requirements at the previous meeting, you should use those.

Our work will move forward more smoothly if you also look at the suitability of the PHY on channels with multidrop terminations (such as have been presented), or with single-ended transmission (albeit in a more benign EMC environment), which has had some interest expressed.  Understanding the maximum reach (particularly for multidrop) would also be useful.

However, the most important thing is to get proposals in proposal form.  This probably means 2 presentations (one with technical analysis and one with the proposed characteristics).  Look to the proposal presentations that Steffen Graber put forward which are referenced in the motions we made at the end of the last meeting.  If you are looking to proposing text, I strongly suggest you look to 802.3bp, bq, bz, or any of the backplane PHY clauses as models for PHY clause text.  802.3bw is, in many subtle ways a departure from normal 802.3 style, and I believe our path through working group ballot will be smoother if we use one of the other PHY clauses as a model.  (Of course, I speak as an individual on this).

It is now Monday, and I haven’t seen any requests for presentations at Wednesday’s ad hoc yet, so, if you are thinking of presenting this week, please send the request to Peter and myself ASAP.

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

Chair, IEEE P802.3cg 10Mbps Single Pair Ethernet Task Force

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx