Re: [802.3_10SPE] What should be specified in the standard for multidrop power

Dayin/George/All-

I have even MORE problems with this discussion until we get our terminology VERY carefully defined.
The message I posted yesterday in response to Kirsten addressed some confusion that seems to exist about the nature of a multi-drop network.
As far as I know, we haven't yet achieved full understanding among our participants as to what is meant IN THIS GROUP when we say multi-drop or multi-point network.

Say we have 6 network stations and a network that connects them all in the same manner,
what are the possibilities?
  1. Each of the 6 is directly attached to an end of the medium (fiber or coax in the existing 802.3 standard, EPON protocol)
  2. Each of the 6 is attached to a repeater port in either a star or linear configuration (as was once common with 10BASE-T)
  3. Each of the 6 is directly attached to a bridge (This puts the end-to-end characteristics of the network outside the scope of 802.3 since bridges belong to 802.1)
  4. Each of the 6 is directly attached to one or more (coax) segments. Multiple coax segments can be linked by a (802.3) repeater (which is now generally considered an obsolete device.  This is the original configuration of Ethernet but is no longer common.  It has the advantage of low delay.

Now we come to the problem over overlaying a power network onto the cabling and node hardware of whatever we choose from the above networks.
ALL current configurations of Power Over Ethernet have absolutely no provision for a head end PSE powering more than one PD.
However IF you want to try to engineer a daisy chain then there is nothing that keeps you from using the output of a PD to power a downstream low-power PSE.  This would be a design engineering exercise and would be out of the scope of our standards work.

IF you want a multi drop network similar to number to 1 or 4 above where the PSE output power division is done on the media THEN an entirely new PoE standard would be needed that probably has nothing in common with either of our current PoE standards.  Such a standard would lose many of the safeguards that we were able to build into the current PoE which depend on the simplifying assumptions of one PSE, one point-to-point linear segment and one PD.

I hope this provides a foundation for greater clarity going forward.

Geoff Thompson