[802.3_10SPE] meeting summary - website update

Thank you all for a very productive and busy 2 day meeting.  We managed to resolve comments and fill in some more parts of our draft.

The unconfirmed minutes are posted along with all presentations.  Please check the website and review while it is still fresh in your minds.

As far as making progress, it will be important that we focus on closing the gaps in our draft.  It may be beneficial to discuss with your colleagues and divide up the work looking for areas to contribute to.  We have many talented engineers in our group, and I am continually impressed by the technical contributions we get on many areas.  However, at this time I am asking for you to put on your project management hats and look first to the task of closing (filling in or deleting) the TBDs and editor’s note questions in our draft, and making sure that we have text for all of our objectives.  I note below several areas that need proposals, not in any particular order:

  • Autonegotiation parameters and adjustments to the autonegotiation timers (there are several TBDs in clause 98, I believe Mr. Graber has filled in some of them this meeting, but I suspect not all).
  • Energy efficient ethernet and its negotiation (proposals for optional EEE in 10BASE-T1L and probably just some text that 10BASE-T1S inherently handles EEE).
  • Text for the primitive mapping section, and management section of clause 147
  • Scrubbing the draft for TBD values.

I would ask that people interested in particular areas let their colleagues know what they are working on, via the reflector and then contributing early concepts to the ad hoc, so that we can both divide up the work and build consensus.  We don’t all have to do everything, and the first ‘techncially complete’ draft is not the final form.  I fully expect features will be changed and added during working group ballot – but progressing through the standards process takes time, and, in my judgement, it is better to get to something technically complete, rather than being perfect in some small areas.

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx