[802.3_10SPE] Reminders on Task Force Review, schedule and Website update

I have uploaded the “TBD list” and the “reminder dates” that I spoke to in my remarks today to the 802.3cg ad hoc website.

For those not on today’s ad hoc call, in order for us to keep on schedule, we need to fill in most of our TBDs in the next meeting.  You have the next 4 days to complete this round of task force review.

Specifically,

  • Please file comments to provide content to fill in the missing items. It doesn’t have to be perfect – we’ll have working group ballot for that – but you should have enough reason to be able to build consensus from.
  • Comments that say ‘I’m not convinced…’ etc. aren’t enough.  If you need something else, tell us what you THINK you need – even if you’re not sure.  The discussion that results will be the group’s opportunity to get it right.
  • Concentrate on the holes – new features and improving already existing technical text can be done in initial working group ballot.  If we do our work right this time, for things that are technically complete, but not perfect, you’ll have until sometime in August to determine the “better” answers, build consensus, and file the necessary comments on the initial working group ballot draft.
  • Don’t be shy about ‘that’s not my part of the draft’…  The entire draft is EVERYONE’s.  If you want to make progress on any part of it, the best way is to help make progress (suggesting solutions) where you can.  When we get to working group ballot, all of 802.3 will be commenting on the draft and helping to make it better.  Standards development is not a spectator sport – it is a team sport.

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

Technical Committee Chair, Ethernet Alliance

Chair, IEEE P802.3cg 10 Mb/s Single Twisted Pair Ethernet Task Force

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

310-920-3860