Re: [802.3_10SPE] Support for Don Pannell's proposal

Hello Mehmet,

I hope this email finds you well and that you permit me to comment on your detailed email. Note please that I am writing these as an individual (affiliated with Kone) after some discussion with some of the groups experts.

I would also like acknowledge that Don’s presentation was suppletory and his work on this and related topics drew attention already in Geneva in the beginning of the year, my understanding however is that not having TSN was an intentional choice of the project, as the use cases behind cg were satisfied by the calculable performance of PLCA without TSN, while the low complexity of a T1S PHY and the speedy, but non preclusive (with respect to future extendibility) progress of the project were some of the strongest driving factors (happy to share more on this if desired).

When it comes to your statements with regards to PLCA beyond what Don is trying to propose, in several cases I found it difficult to concur (more detailed comments below in brown), therefore allow me please to kindly ask you to present on each of the points you find relevant as soon as possible. My understanding is that there could be a way to “feed the goat while preserving the cabbage” and tailor PLCA in a way that:

- either higher layer protocols could be implemented on top of T1S multidrop (e.g. data-rate fairness instead of packet fairness)

- or future extension of PLCA would be possible in a backward compatible manner (e.g. desired level of TSN)

The T1S multidrop PHY must navigate between the typical tradeoffs (complexity, baud rate, number of stations, MTU, resilience etc.) and to me it seems we are converging to a notable local maximum in a timely manner, navigating away from which – in any degree of freedom – would reduce the economic desirability.

Yours sincerely

Gergely