Re: [802.3_10SPE] 802.3cg d3.1 comment #r01-6

Hi Gergely,

please find below the reason why I think the number is incorrect.

The test is considering 800 bytes frames.

To that we want to add the part of the preamble that is used to synchronize the scrambler, that is 5 bytes (worst case). This contribution is actually negligible but I’m counting it anyway in the following computation.

805 bytes total means 805 * 8 = 6440 bits.

Assuming that a single bit error causes a frame to be discarded (that is, no FCS collision in the age of the universe), the chance of discarding a packet due to a bit flip is 1 - (1 - BER)^NBIT. In other words is 1 minus the chanche of NOT having bit flips.

For a BER of 10^-10 that gives ~6.4 10^-7.

Thank you,

Piergiorgio