[802.3_10SPE] MDI connector comment r02-14

Colleagues-

I will not be in attendance with you in Milwaukee.
However, I want to make my position crystal clear about calling out a connector.

I don't think it is very important in the automotive application space.
All devices in an automobile are highly engineered into their place in a car and each case has very high volume.
What plugs into what socket is decided and constrained by an automotive manufacturing engineer.
To that end, we have left the physical connector spec open in 1000BASE-T1 and 100BASE-T1.
There is no reason to do anything any differently for 10BASE-T1S.

For 10BASE-T1L the situation is much more like a traditional 802.3 spec.
That goes back to the roots of the purpose of 802.3, that was and is interoperability.
Interoperability in a market where most of the people deciding what plug goes in what socket make that decision
based on what connector is on the end of the wire in their hand.

We can make it a shall in the standard
or
we can make it a very heavy suggestion.
I don't think that makes that big a difference.
What will make a difference in our eventual market success is whether the broad user market we are trying to serve will know that they have Ethernet in their hand.

Sincerely,

	Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson, Senior Life Member
GraCaSI Standards Advisors
Mountain View, CA 94043-5286
<thompson@xxxxxxxx>
+1.540.227.0059