[802.3_NGAUTO] IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc meeting at the May Interim

Colleagues,

There will be a meeting of the IEEE 802.3 Isolation Ad Hoc <http://ieee802.org/3/ad_hoc/isolation/index.html> from 07h00 to 08h00 on Tuesday 22nd May 2018 during the upcoming IEEE 802.3 interim meeting series. While this material may not be directly applicable to our automotive use cases, I believe than many of you will want to get up to speed on this work as it directly bears on our traditional enterprise and PoE work.

There are subclauses titled 'Electrical isolation' throughout IEEE Std 802.3 requiring isolation meet one of three electrical strength tests with references to IEC 60950-1 'Information technology equipment - Safety - Part 1: General requirements'. However, IEC 62368-1 'Audio/video, information and communication technology equipment - Part 1: Safety requirements' will soon replace IEC 60950-1, as well as IEC 60065 'Audio, video and similar electronic apparatus - Safety requirements'. IEC 62368-1 is not just a merge of these two standards, it is a new standard that has been developed using Hazard-Based Safety Engineering (HBSE), and is more performance oriented.

The IEEE 802.3 Working Group Chair has chartered this ad hoc under the IEEE 802.3 Working Group 'To examine the current text in IEEE Std 802.3 for electrical isolation and text referencing external safety standards, and build consensus on proposed updates to be provided to the Maintenance Task Force'

Regards,

Steve

Steven B. Carlson

Chair, P802.3ch Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Task Force

Executive Secretary, IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group

http://www.ieee802.org/3/index.html

President

High Speed Design, Inc.

Portland, OR