[802.3_NGAUTO] P802.3ch D0.6 Task Force review closes October 30

Colleagues,

Draft 0.6 is ready for your review.  Thanks to our Chief Editor and our contributors it’s ready a few days before the promised date. Please review the draft and provide comments to your editor, Natalie Wienckowski, at nwienckowski@xxxxxxx.  The review of draft 0.6 will close on October 30, 2018 anywhere on earth.  This is two weeks before our next plenary meeting.  Your editor expects to have the comment database, with proposed resolutions, ready by November 7 AOE.  You can help to make this happen by sending your comments as early as possible to help the editorial team.

The draft can be found in the 802.3ch private area at: http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ch/private/index.html.  If you need the password (and are participating in the standards process – getting this email by the reflector is evidence of that), then email me and I will make sure you get it.

A clean and compare version of D0.6 have been posted. Please comment against the clean version.

**** PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU SHOULD GET AND USE THE NEW COMMENT TOOLS FROM THE WEBSITE – GDPR RULES HAVE FORCED US TO MAKE CHANGES ****

Comments should be submitted either by the filemaker comment tool or the spreadsheet tool.  They are available at http://www.ieee802.org/3/WG_tools/index.html.   Manual comments are discouraged and may not be included in the comment database prior to the plenary meeting.

We still have many sections that need content.  Your editor has tried to mark all of these with an Editor's Note box and/or yellow highlighted text.

Below are some important FAQs and guidelines:

Who can review the draft – Anyone.  Participation is by individual basis.

Scope of the review: The ENTIRE draft is still in scope.

Good commenting guidelines: See http://www.ieee802.org/3/cg/public/Jan2018/maguire_3cg_02a_0118.pdf  where there are lots of good information.  It is most helpful if you:

  • Quote the offending text (or enough of it for us to find) in your comment, AND, say what the problem is.  Any explanation should go in the comment.
  • Give a specific change to the text in the proposed response.  Try not to say more than just what needs to be done.  If there is more than one possibility, give both and briefly say what makes the determination in your mind (for example, “if the proposed functionality is supposed to be P, then change “y” to “z”.  if the proposed functionality was supposed to be Q, then change “y” to “x”.  If you need formatting or graphics, then put them in another file (text – word or PDF, or powerpoint).  Remember, equations, italics, etc. don’t come through in the comment tool.  If you need a presentation to explain and present the solution, please flag that and give it a name in the proposed response – BUT, give your editors an idea of what you will be proposing.
  • Please focus on the technical completeness of our draft.  While pointing out obvious typos or errors is useful, editorially rewording text takes valuable task force time and likely will just get reworded again during working group ballot.  A useful rule is – if you can clearly understand what is meant, then others can too, but if there are 2 or more interpretations and you need ‘inside knowledge’ or have to guess to figure out what is meant, please go ahead and comment.
  • If you think there is an issue to discuss, flag that (in addition to providing your proposed resolution).  That will be a cue to your editors not to mark the comment “EZ”.

Voting and “Required” comments:  Task Force review is informal, there is no ballot or vote.  Therefore, there is NO POINT in marking your comments “required” or not.  They will all be considered equally.

Regards,

Steve

Steven B. Carlson

Chair, P802.3ch Multi-Gig Automotive Ethernet PHY Task Force

Executive Secretary, IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group

http://www.ieee802.org/3/index.html
President
High Speed Design, Inc.

Portland, OR