[802.3_NGAUTO] transmitter linearity test proposal

Looking at the clause 94 (802.3bj – a PAM4 transceiver), it looks like there is a simple way to go:

We could specify:

Test mode N:  Transmit the sequence specified in 94.3.12.5.1 without a link partner.

When in test mode N, the transmitter shall meet the SNDR distortion as specified in 94.3.12.7.

All we have to do is figure out what number to make the test mode!

Incorporating by reference also has the advantage that we will get the rest of 802.3’s help and experience on which of the PAM4 distortion tests work best.

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx