Re: [802.3_NGAUTO] adhoc discussion on startup timing

Natalie – the times do not assume synchrony between master and slave, that is why we went to two tables.

Link control or autoneg ensure that silent is entered at the same time on both ends – that’s part of its purpose.

The master has complete control of when it sends en_slave_tx = 1.  It just needs to make sure it sends it so that the slave actually CAN exit SILENT by 40msec.  It is arguable that we might want to require the master to send en_slave_tx a little earlier than the 40msec. I recall asking this on the ad hoc, but don’t recall any response, and it is consistent, but would be open to proposals.

Similarly, I also thought about having the time a little less than 97 msec.  It was originally.  However, 97 msec is at the bottom edge of the link_fail_inhibit timer tolerance, and the upper edge of tolerance here.  the corner case is a set of measure zero, and therefore, I think, tolerable.  Reasonable minds may disagree, and, again, I’d be open to proposals.

However, the times do not assume that the slave exits  the moment it gets en_slave_tx = 1.  The slave needs to have its receiver ready to exit by 40 msec so if the master sends the message at the last moment it can just proceed.  If the master sends it earlier, the slave may wait until its receiver is ready – but not past the 40msec time.