Re: [8023-CMSG] Proposed Upper Layer Compatibility Objective

Gary,

One difficulty is the ambiguity of the words "degrade the operation" (any
other words in the same position with the same general meaning will have the
same problem).

We are going to have to have a working definition that provides guidance.
Two extreme interpretations might help explain the problem.

1. I, XYZ, interpreted "degrade the operation" to mean that there is no
measurable decrease in performance of the protocol, even if operating at a
lowest priority.
2. I, ABC, interpreted "degrade the operation" to mean that as long as we
can turn off CM and run like we do today, we have met the objective, no
matter how well or how poorly any specific upper layer protocol operates
with CM.

XYZ and ABC can both raise their hands supporting the objective. But, when
the work begins, and decisions are made, both can simultaneously cry foul.

It might be the case that before we can get our arms around this, we need
specific and detailed information and analysis about what can go wrong (e.g.
PAUSE working at odds with TCP/IP) and why. It is difficult to know what is
acceptable and what is not acceptable when we don't know precisely what what
is.

jonathan