From: owner-stds-802-3-cm@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-cm@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG]On Behalf Of Hugh Barrass
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 9:33 AM
To: STDS-802-3-CM@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-CMSG] Purpose

Jonathan,

In line:

Jonathan Thatcher wrote:
Hugh,

Well, I certainly can't get on board with the idea of 40 or 100 Gb/s being cheap or simple. At least not in the next couple of years.

I never thought of myself as small-frame-phobic. I always thought of myself as a lover of improved cost-performance.

You are correct that geometry matters if you want low latency.

Regarding your comment of this being a niche of a niche, to some of us, being a part of a 1 B$ a year and rapidly growing niche within a 50B $ a year niche is worthy of consideration. It doesn't especially bother me that this might be embarrassingly small and not worthy of consideration for the largest vendors.
You (and others) would be wise not to make assumptions about what large vendors consider worthy of attention (or not). The reason why I classify it as a niche of a niche is that I expect most of this large and interesting market will be satisfied by products based on standard technologies (adapted from LAN and WAN applications). I also expect that that there will be a significant niche demanding higher performance (in the range discussed below) that will require more exotic architecture. To satisfy this niche, end-station vendors will need hardware acceleration; switch vendors may use cut-through and, as a result, hardware will be significantly more expensive. Then there is a niche-of-a-niche that will need faster layer 2 operation than Ethernet can provide. I expect that such a market could use existing supercomputer-defined interfaces or may be small enough to tolerate custom or proprietary solutions. I do not see that the niche-of-a-niche warrants the making of a new standard for the whole of Ethernet.

If there is any demand for preemption , then I would expect that cut-through switching would have a significant segment of the current market as it is a tried-and-true technology that is fully compliant with current standards. What is the current penetration of cut-through switches in new switch sales?

Of course a switch implementing pre-emption would interoperate with a switch that didn't. Really Hugh, that kind of FUD is beneath you.
Of course it won't! You would have to define some mechanism for backward compatibility that involves discovery and negotiation before pre-emption is used. If, for any reason, a switch were to use preemption on an interface connected to a switch which doesn't understand preemption then the receiving switch would see a jumbled frames. At best this would lead to packet loss, at worst it would cause a very high false packet acceptance rate. I would expect that such a mix of PCS capabilities introduced into the market would generate a far worse number of user issues than simply adding (or changing) a protocol frame.

Hugh.

jonathan