Re: [8023-CMSG] Questions

I personally don't think PAUSE should be thrown out.  However, I do believe that PAUSE is rarely used because it has effects that some people unfortunatley don't expect (e.g. queues back up).

That said, PAUSE does not really break my personal paradigm becaue I don't see PAUSE as providing CoS/QoS.  I view PAUSE as taking a big pipe and making it a smaller pipe.  It does not introduce multiple traffic classes, or differentiated traffic handling - it simply results in decreasing the maximum bandwidth that can be supported by a link, the same as running a port in 10M mode vs 100M mode would do.  QoS/CoS is still supported above the MAC, and attempts to make traffic differentiation decisions based upon configured policies that make the best use of whatever bandwidth is available in that single, albeit slower, pipe.

- Matt