From: owner-stds-802-3-cm@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-cm@listserv.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Hugh Barrass
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 8:44 AM
To: STDS-802-3-CM@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-CMSG] Purpose

Jonathan,

It's odd that you should choose an End Of Life announcement (issued about 2 years ago IIRC) to support your argument that cut-through switching is all the rage. Please show what proportion of the *current* market is demanding cut-through. It was all the rage at about the same time that ATM-to-the-desktop was the future of networking.

Also, three points about OAM-in-preamble: it did not require new codepoints; existing and compliant PCS implementations would have ignored it (it's the preamble); it got rejected - does that tell you anything?

Hugh.

Jonathan Thatcher wrote:
So, the following is wrong?

(many more similar articles can be found searching Google)

If EFM had adopted preamble-based OAM, would this have required new PCS codes and a significant number of "why doesn't it work" support calls? If so, why was it proposed?

Again, this isn't that hard.