From: owner-stds-802-3-cm@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-cm@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG]On Behalf Of Hugh Barrass
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 7:08 AM
To: STDS-802-3-CM@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [8023-CMSG] Proposed Upper Layer Compatibility Objective

David,

My example was considering frames that have the same priority. Adding priority to the mix simply multiplies the problem by the number of priority levels.

Hugh.

David Martin wrote:

Hugh,

For sake of discussion, if you take as a given that all bridges have 8 output queues per port, where frames are classified based on CoS (MEF terminology) aka user_priority (802.1 terminology), then if a downstream bridge could send a Pause_CoS_n (where n=0..7) backwards / upstream, wouldn't that alleviate the scalability issue you mentioned?

In arithmetic terms, Device 1 would need 8*P queues, where P is the number of ports it has.

Doesn't the scalability issue you mentioned only arise when different bridges use different output queue classification approaches? Then I could imagine a squared-type of relationship.

Just trying to follow the line of reasoning here.

Thanks.

...Dave

David W. Martin
Nortel Networks