Re: [8023-CMSG] Server/NIC analogy

Hugh, Jonathon, Ben,

I think this discussion is off on a tangent. There are assumptions being
made here that are off-base. We need to focus our attention on what it
is we are trying to enable with new standards. (My numbered items are

1. If what we are trying to enable are single stage interconnects for
backplanes, then wrt the IEEE standards, we're done. We just need to get
good implementations of NIC's and switches using 802.3x (rate control,
not XON/XOFF) to meet the requirements (e.g. good enough throughput, low
latency, low latency variation, no loss due to congestion). But ...
single stage interconnects are not very interesting to people who want
to construct larger interconnects to tie multiple racks with multiple
shelves of blades together into a single system.

2. (Putting on my server hat) We're NOT asking for IEEE to provide
end-to-end congestion management mechanisms. If IEEE can simply
standardize some tweaks to the current 802.3 (& 802.1) standards to
support better congestion visibility at layer 2 and better methods of
reacting to congestion at layer 2 (more selective rate control and no
frame drops), then the rest can be left up to the upper layers. There
are methods that can be implemented in layer 2 that don't prohibit
scalability. Scalability may be limited to a few hops, but that is all
that is needed.

3. The assumption in item 3 is not entirely true. There are
relationships (that can be automatically discovered or configured) that
can be expoited for significantly improved layer 2 congestion control.

4. For backpressure to work, it neither requires congestion to be pushed
all the way back to the source nor does it require the backpressuring
device to accurately predict the future. From the layer 2 perspective,
the source may be a router. So back pressure only needs to be pushed up
to the upper layers (which could be a source endpoint or a router).
Also, the backpressuring device simply needs to know its own state of
congestion and be able to convey clues to that state to the surrounding
devices. We don't need virtual circuits to supported at layer 2 to get
"good enough" congestion control.

5. From an implementation perspective, I believe the queues can go
either in the MAC or the bridge, depending on the switch implementation.
(Am I wrong? I haven't seen anything in the interface between the bridge
and the MAC that would force the queues to be in the bridge.) IMO, where
they go should NOT be dictated by either 802.1 or 802.3. The interface
between the bridge and MAC should be defined to enable the queues to be
place where most appropriate for the switch architecture. In fact, a
switch could be implemented such that frame payloads bypass the bridge
and the bridge only deal with the task of routing frame handles from MAC
receivers to one or more MAC transmitters (Do the 802.1 standards
prevent such a design?).

As far as the IETF standards go, they don't seem to rely on layer 2 to
drop frames (although we don't yet have a clear answer on this). If a
router gets overwhelmed, it will drop packets. But if it supports ECN,
it can start forwarding ECN notices before becoming overwhelmed. I think
the jury is still out on whether the upper layers (in a confined
network) would work better with layer 2 backpressure or layer 2 drops.
From a datacenter server perspective, there is no doubt in my mind that
backpressure would be preferrable to drops.

Gary