Re: [8023-CMSG] FW: [802.3] FW: March 2004 IEEE 802.3 Meeting Announcement

Title:

Tom,

I remain in disagreement. I don't believe our current chair shows
any more or less support for new projects than our previous chair
or existing vice chair. He may be a more vocal supporter or perhaps
a more vocal dissenter but that does not mean he shows partiality.
Different people have different means of expressing themselves,
from you to me to all of the 802 chairs. Because they're different
doesn't mean one is right and another is wrong.

Regards,
Ben

Thomas Dineen wrote:
Ben:

   I disagree! I believe that the chair should remain impartial
at all times, refraining from support or opposition of any and
all projects or proposed projects, thus letting the voting
membership arrive at their own conclusions.

I would suggest that you look to the conduct of our previous
chair and our current vice chair for positive role models with
regard to the conduct and demeanor or the chair.

Thomas Dineen

Benjamin Brown wrote:

Tom,

These comments are wholly unfounded. Bob has the utmost
character and always has 802.3's best interest in mind. As
WG 802.3 Chair, Bob should be and is 802.3's biggest fan.
His job is to promote the Ethernet technology and standard
at every opportunity. When an idea, like this one or any other,
receives the necessary votes to warrant a study group, Bob
should be a supporter of it, as he is with all study groups and
task forces. If he was not a supporter of Ethernet, that would
me cause for concern. Just because you are not in favor of this
study group, you should not misinterpret Bob's support for
partiality.

Regards,
Ben

Thomas Dineen wrote:
Bob:

    In regard to Shimon's comment: You need to lighten up a little, it seems that
your management may be twisting the cabling a little to tight!

    On a more serious note I am becoming increasingly concerned about your
partisan positioning and behavior regarding the Congestion Management Study
Group. As you probably remember from past interactions I favor a chairperson
who displays a large degree of impartial behavior in all 802.3 affairs, providing
a passive administration of  the group's business with a maximal concern for
administration within the group's rules. Personally I am becoming more and
more troubled about your personal conduct in regard to the CM Project, these
concerns starting with your ruling on the request for a discrete call for interest.
I would suggest that you look to your predecessor and you current vice chair for
positive role models with regard to the conduct and demeanor or the chair.

Thomas Dineen

Grow, Bob wrote:
Shimon:

Though I did see the smile after your comment I can't let the
implication go unanswered that I might at some level be less than fully
supportive of this study group.  I strongly support its work and will be
encouraging SG renewal in July.

I continue to receive comments about and requests to improve Ethernet
performance for emerging limited topology applications.  These requests
invariably are based on the desire to reduce network frame drops or to
improve the latency / latency variance of the network.

I believe there is significant market potential even with fewer switches
than what Gary has proposed as his limited topology.  I'm encouraged by
some of the creative thinking about the appropriate scope for an 802.3
project.  I think if we continue to refine agreement on the topological
scope for the potential solutions, it will provide a significantly
easier task to evaluate the market potential and desirability of various
alternatives.

--Bob