From: owner-stds-802-3-cm@listserv.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-cm@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Matt Squire
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 10:57 PM
To: STDS-802-3-CM@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [8023-CMSG] Fw: [802.1] Slides for per-priority flow
control

> It seems to
> me there was an expectation of a more cooperative relationship between
> 802.1 and 802.3.

In my experience, there has been a very cooperative relationship between
802.1 and 802.3.  The two groups communicate often and fairly well.

What you may be experiencing, instead of a lack of cooperation between
802.1 and 802.3, is a non-trivial number of people who disagree with the
concepts you are proposing.  One of the areas of disagreement (there
were several) with the proposals is that they violate the existing
architectures of 802.1 and 802.3, where the proposals suggestion 802.3
"look at" information that is generally in "802.1"'s domain.

So rather than lack of cooperation, an alternate way to view the
discussions last week is that 802.1 and 802.3 were in complete agreement
- both groups are providing feedback that the suggestions are
architecturally broken, no matter which group looks at them.

- Matt