Re: [8023-CMSG] Problem statement

Title: Problem statement
Hi Brad/David,

    1. Yes, by priorities, I was referring to .1p. Classifying flows
       acc/g to priorities and scheduling queues with algo (strict,
       WRR..)
    2. However, keeping in mind that since 802.3 does not specify
       "differentiation" or "priorities" for flow, NICs need to have
       mechanism mentioned in 802.1 (for bridges). Probably part of
       OS stack. (I am not sure of standardization here).
    3. If "Hi Pri" traffic in itself does not cause congestion, then
       it can be carried through the network without any noticeable
       impact of congestion if appropriate classification/scheduling
       is performed at all the nodes on the path. I have yet to get
       solid data about "bunching up" effect on these flows.
    4. Oversubscription can not be solved by prioritizing. However
       even in oversubscribed case "hi pri" traffic (and other classes)
       can get through congested network: depends upon amount of BW
       it needs. (E.g. If switch is having 50G switching BW, and 60G
       total traffic is pumped into it, and Hi Pri traffic is only 5G,
       then with appropriate scheduling, 10G "Lo Pri" traffic will only
       be dropped/delayed. Leaving "Hi Pri" traffic practically safe).
        -> Again, I would like to see data about "bunching up" effect
       that has been discussed in some forums.
    5. About what CMSG is trying to accomplish: Brad,you have summed it
       up pretty well in another email.

Thanks,
- Manoj