Re: [8023-CMSG] 802.1 presentation

Ben,

Thanks for the update and most of all thanks for standing up and
representing the thoughts of CMSG in foreign territory. I have a few
random comments:

1. Some L3 devices mark congestion, although the standards as written
imply that congestion notification is "an internet thing." At the very
least, we need to demonstrate the efficacy of these solutions for short,
fast networks. Obviously, we have the burden of proof for things we want
to define for bridges and for DTE MAC clients.

2. We can explore the idea of letting the end station adjust according
to the perceived round trip delay, but I suspect there will be two
problems: firstly, the end stations don't know what the delay "should
be" for optimal network performance; secondly, the approach may cause
divergent behavior as the "optimal" behavior is to increase number of
bytes in flight for longer RTT but (effectively) the only parameter that
the end station can use to adjust the network load is the number of
bytes in flight.

3. The network product (bandwidth * delay) is a very useful descriptor
for certain aspects of network design but isn't the only one. In
particular, the use of congestion notification is most effective for
networks where the bridge buffer memory is larger than the network
product but also where the RTT is not much more than the transport
window size. I think it can be shown that CN is particularly effective
in networks with a mixture of  bridging devices with various buffering
and bandwidth characteristics.

4. I think that the time we spent looking at architectural and layering
issues has paid dividends. As the architecture group, 802.1 is most
sensitive to poorly thought-out proposals.

Hugh.