[8023-CMSG] Tutorial conference call minutes

All,

We had a very successful discussion surrounding the plans
for the tutorial. I've attached the minutes and results from this
call. Presenters please confirm your acceptance of the schedule
at the end of the text.

Information on the follow up calls will be made available at
least one week before the call. They will be the same day and
time as this one was.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown
178 Bear Hill Road

Conference call to discuss plans for the congestion management
study group tutorial in November.

20-October-2004, 2:00pm EDT

Attendees:
Ben Brown
Charlie Bry
Tanmay Gupta
Hugh Barrass
Gopal Hegde
Bob Grow
Manoj Wadekar
David James
Gary McAlpine
Dave Martin

Agenda:

* Contents of tutorial
* Order of contents
* Presenters

Ideas:
** Market space & potential
*** What's the problem we're trying to solve
*** Why did we want to start this project
** Problem description
*** Problems with 802.3x
*** Other solutions that don't work
*** Why do we need 802.1's help?
*** Solutions exist that work, need to choose one
*** Living solely within .3 would not be compatible with .1 or wouldn't work
** Discussions with 802.1
*** Briefly outline SG evaluations
*** Why this pushed us into 802.1
*** What's left in 802.3
** Objectives, PAR, 5 Critters

Don't go too far down the road into the solution but we
need to go deep enough to show people that we have some
interesting solutions

Organize the tutorial by the 5 Criteria, either leading off
or showing that we've satisfied the criteria

Tutorial Outline:
Ben to do introduction - how long we've been a SG,
who's been involved, introduce the presenters

2 people on marketing - Broad Market Potential
 Why they want congestion control in each of the markets
  Intel/Cisco to do clustering, etc.
  HP/IBM(?) to do storage
   Take extracts from the presentation material

Hugh to work on 802.1 split and work

Protocol description/Simulation results - Tech/Econ feasibility
(We forgot to get a volunteer for this but since Intel
has been the driver behind simulation results, I'll
assign it to them, either Manoj or Gary)

Ben to close: PAR, objectives, thank the presenters, take questions

Questions of clarification okay during the presentation
Questions/comments for or against a topic should be held
until the end

1 hour presentation time total/maximum - less is better
Probably start late because first tutorial will run over
Late tutorial means people are going to lose interest fast

50/50 split between marketing and technical - for now

Don't need supporters here but do need supports for Thursday pm
Do give credit where credit is due - including joint presentation

Schedule:
1st draft by 27-Oct
Follow up call on 3-Nov
Final call on 10-Nov
Tutorial scheduled for 2nd slot Tuesday night

Presenters please confirm your acceptance of this schedule