From: Benjamin Brown [mailto:benjbrown@comcast.net]
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 10:40 AM
To: Peter Jones; 802.3cm
Subject: Technical proposals

Peter,

I hope you don't mind that I opened your questions up
to the entire reflector. It helps me make an important
point.

Yes, I think that it is absolutely appropriate to consider
a solution for a pseudo-static rate limiter that accounts
for a difference in bit rate (e.g. 100M transmitting to 2M)
as well as a constant overhead (e.g. untagged transmitting
to tagged). Anything less than this would probably not
solve the problems of both of these kinds of networks.

Further, I advise participants that the Sacramento meeting
is indeed the appropriate time to bring technical proposals
for just such a solution. There is still plenty of time to put
some ideas on some slides. There is even time to start
sharing those ideas with other members of this task force
(yes, we're now a task force and no longer a study group)
to begin forming consensus. Consensus is what drives this
process and the responsibility for creating a consensus lies
entirely on the shoulders of every member of this task force.
The sooner we get proposals and start building consensus,
the sooner we can accept a baseline proposal, start writing
drafts and getting to the ballot process.

For now, I'll continue to be the repository for presentation
requests. I'll make sure that whoever stands in front of the
room in Sacramento is aware of your plans.

Regards,
Ben

--
Benjamin Brown