[8023-CMSG] Sacramento interim

All,

I've recently taken the assignment to chair the Congestion Management Task Force. I *was* looking forward to a successful first meeting. However, Ben Brown, Study Group chair just informed me that there is ONLY ONE presentation request for Sacramento.

The purpose of the Study Group was to justify the creation of a Task Force.

The purpose of the Task Force is adopt proposals which satisfy the objectives and create draft amendments to the base 802.3 clauses, successfully pass several ballots and publish a standard.

The Task Force has stumbled out of the gate. At this point, I am not looking forward to the March plenary meeting. I do *NOT* want to report the following: "Since the November Plenary, the CM PAR was ratified and we essentially didn't do anything as a Task Force."

I am waving the normal cutoffs for requesting and submitting presentations in light of the poor showing to date.

The Task Force needs proposals with > 75% consensus in order to move forward. Please, please, please make presentations, or modify old presentations and come to Sacramento prepared to advance the work of the Task Force.

The presentations should support the following objectives:

Specify a mechanism to support the communication of congestion information
Specify a mechanism to limit the rate of transmitted data on an Ethernet link
Preserve the MAC/PLS service interfaces
Minimize throughput reduction in noncongested flows

or, alternatively be in support of modifying or creating a new objective.

See you in Sacramento...

Kevin Daines
Chair, IEEE 802.3ar Congestion Management